Santiago Charter Middle School
Dear Parents and Students,
Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year at Santiago returning students. And to those of you that are new to our school a big huge WELCOME to the Santiago Family! We are happy to have you here!
The PTSA supports many programs and events at Santiago such as Red Ribbon Week, the Santiago Sentinel newsletter *, STRIVE program, field trips, volunteer coordination, dances, State and National PTA’s “Reflections” art and literature contest, staff appreciation, parent education programs, the 8th Grade Promotion Party and much more! If you are interested in joining the PTSA, please complete the Membership application and bring it with you to registration or drop it off at the school office at any time. We are always looking for members and/or some great volunteers to help us out. It takes many people with willing hearts to run our programs and our school.
The Santiago PTSA invites you to “Make an Imprint on Your Child’s Future” and make a difference in the education and quality of life for our children. At Santiago, each family is encouraged to provide twelve (12) hours of service every school year. Working with the PTSA is a great way to help our school, stay involved with your student’s education and to fulfill this obligation at the same time. We encourage everyone to join PTSA! Your family will receive one service hour for each $11.00 adult and $6.00 student membership. If you have any questions regarding membership, please contact Cami Jo Contreras at email@example.com.
PTSA meetings, and our Facebook page are other great ways to learn about Santiago. Most meetings will be held on the fourth Wednesday of the month. All meetings are held at 7pm in the Library. Please join us and earn 1 service hour plus hear about the upcoming events and information!
Once again, welcome to Santiago. I hope it is a great year for you and your student(s)!
PTSA Board 2018-2019:
- President - Danielle Jacobs
- Executive VP - Jonathan Pongco
- Secretary - Julie Abshire
- Treasurer - Sandra Davidson
- VP Membership - Cami Jo Contreras
- Ways & Means - Kristen Saunders
- Historian - Tara Bullock
- Auditor - Karen Perkins
- Parliamentarian - TBD
Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year at Santiago! And to those of you that are new to our school a big huge WELCOME to the Santiago Family! We are happy to have you here!
The Santiago PTSA invites you to “Make an Imprint on Your Child’s Future” and make a difference in the education and quality of life for our children. I hope you all had a great summer and are ready to jump into a new school year with high hopes and expectations. We are so lucky at Santiago to have a fabulous group of teachers and staff that are so dedicated to making an imprint on our children’s future while guiding them through their middle school experience.
We realize how important your children are to you and that you want the very best for them. The PTSA can help you achieve that goal! We all know children learn more and have better lives when parents, school staff, students and the community work together. One of the biggest ways you can do to make a difference in your child’s school is by joining and volunteering with PTSA!
We are looking for a group of enthusiastic, caring parents to make this school year another great year for our staff, students and families, and would love to have you as part of our team! Please take a look at our list of committees / job descriptions below to find a spot that looks right for you. You are not required to have any prior experience, just a willing heart! Several positions fit the flexibility required for working parents, so even if you can’t be on campus during the day, there are opportunities for you.
Please send me an email or give me a call to let me know what “spots” you may be interested in filling. Taking on a position is a great way to get those service hours completed and to help out our Santiago community as well. I am looking forward to putting together a great leadership team for the 2018-2019 school year. Please feel free to give me a call with any questions.
~SANTIAGO MIDDLE SCHOOL PTSA CHAIR POSITIONS~
· AUDITOR – Audits the books and financial records of a PTA to determine their accuracy. Presents written reports on audits to the board and the association for adoption. Forwards copies of adopted audits to council/district PTA as indicated in unit bylaws. Conducted 2x a year. ***
· FINANACIAL SECRETARY – Works closely with the treasurer and other financial officers handling PTSA funds, Keeps a record of all PTA funds collected, deposited and disbursed. Prepares monthly and annual financial reports. Helps with bank deposits and PTSA meetings. **
· AVID LIAISON – Responsible for being the liaison between the AVID program and the PTSA. Attend PTSA Meetings and inform membership of AVID current events.
· EIGHTH GRADE PROMOTION - Responsible for fundraising, planning and coordinating of the 8th grade promotion party. This is typically held in the cafeteria the last Friday of the school year. **
· EL MODENA LIAISON – Share info about El Modena at PTSA Meetings & in the newsletter that is relevant to the Santiago Community.***
· FOUNDATION GAMES – Help with registering students for the games and hold practices. This event is held over spring break.**
· DANCE - Responsible for coordinating parent volunteers and food for each dance. ***
· LEGISLATIVE REPRESENTATIVE - Responsible for representing Santiago at OUSD's Legislative Coalition meetings and for reporting relevant legislative information at Santiago PTSA meetings.**
· REFLECTIONS - Responsible for disseminating information, collecting submissions, finding judges, ordering awards and arranging an awards night for this National PTA sponsored art and literature contest. Deliver first place winners to the council so they can be entered at higher levels. ***
· RECYCLING - Coordinate with Mrs. Maude (Library Media Tech) in collecting of beverage bottles from classrooms and around campus. Once a month during scheduled Work Saturdays, with assistance from other volunteers, sort recyclable beverage containers (plastic/glass/cans). Take to recycling for redemption. Cash out and return funds to school office. As needed, pick up ink/toner cartridge recyclable boxes to drop off at UPS store. Order more recycle boxes as needed. Funds come directly to school by mail.
· ICE CREAM SALES – Ordering Ice Cream, sell ice cream everyday (with few exceptions) tabulate sales and prepare deposit. Begins first week of school – Job can be split between parents, training provided *
* This position involves daytime hours.
** This position involves daytime and evening hours.
*** Position can be done at any time: perfect for the working parent.
SANTIAGO PTSA MEMBERSHIP
“Make an Imprint on Your Child’s Future”
Join Santiago’s PTSA and receive 1 HOUR OF SERVICE CREDIT for each membership and a free PTSA directory!
Everyone is invited to join the Santiago Parent-Teacher-Student-Association. Your membership dues helps support Santiago PTSA programs and you will also be a member of the state and national PTA.
As a member of the Santiago PTSA you are also a member of the CA State PTA and National PTA. Please indicate below the information you would like included in the parent directory and the information you would like forwarded to the State and National PTA.
Please attach your check to the form below and deposit both in the PTSA Membership basket at Registration or drop off at the school office.
8th Grade Promotion Party
Dear Santiago Families,
The 8th Grade Promotion Party Committee is starting early this year and we could use your help. We are looking for a committee of volunteers to plan the event, request prize donations from businesses, and organize fundraisers.
The promotion party costs about $6,000. PTSA contributes $500 and the balance comes from various fundraisers held through the year. Last year’s committee held restaurant nights, sold ice cream daily after school, and organized the Open House In and Out Night.
We would like to continue to keep the fundraisers to a minimum by asking parents to make a contribution to the 8th Grade Promotion Party. This will free up the Promotion Party committee to focus their time and energy on planning the party. All donations received will go towards the promotion party for the 2019 8th grade class. Any excess funds will go to the PTSA and be used for the good of the school and all of our students.
Please complete the form below and include it with your other PTSA forms. You can indicate the ways you are interested in helping and any donation you are willing to contribute. All donations are greatly appreciated.
Of course, if you’re not ready to volunteer or contribute now, you can do so at any time in the year. Just drop this off in the office or send it to the address below. We want to make sure that your generous donation is recorded.
8th Grade Promotion Party Fund
c/o Santiago PTSA, 515 N. Rancho Santiago Blvd., Orange, CA, 92869
For further information, please contact Danielle Jacobs @ 949-230-9609 or Danielle@sheldongrp.com