We want to thank all of you who took our survey and indicated to us your preference on returning to school or staying with the virtual learning format. We have received about 800 responses and that is very valuable for us in terms of planning and scheduling. If you did not complete the survey, please take the survey at your earliest convenience at https://forms.gle/4hg6geQnzn7egRvH8 . We are really trying to take people's preferences into account when scheduling students.
Here is what we can currently share with you:
- We are confirming (unless our dates are changed by the governor or unless Orange Unified pushes the dates back for their restart) our on-campus learning dates are:
- 8th graders will start October 8th and this is an 8th Grade ONLY day for in-person students
- 7th graders will start October 9th and this is a 7th Grade ONLY day for in-person students
- Please know that the OUSD start dates are NOT THE SAME for Santiago. When the Superintendent announces middle school dates for reopening, that does NOT include Santiago. Our dates are Oct. 8thand Oct. 9th as indicated above. The only way we would be aligned with OUSD is if OUSD pushes back the start date for online learning by several months like Garden Grove USD and Anaheim USD have done. If OUSD is opening in October as scheduled, our dates will remain Oct 8th and 9th.
- On Oct. 8th, we will have two sets of 8th graders and two different times. There will be a MORNING SESSION for about half of the on-campus 8th graders and an AFTERNOON SESSION for the other half of the on-campus 8th graders. Times will be announced when we get closer and are consistent with their AM/PM cohort of Core Classes.
- On Oct. 9th, we will have two sets of 7th graders and two different times. There will be a MORNING SESSION for about half of the on-campus 7th graders and an AFTERNOON SESSION for the other half of the on-campus 7th graders. Again, times will be announced when we get closer and are also consistent with either AM/PM cohort of Core Classes.
- ALL SCHOOL LUNCHES WILL BE FREE OF CHARGE UNTIL DECEMBER 31st regardless if you qualify for free & reduced lunch or not. We will release the lunch schedules to you as we get closer as we are still working on the details.
- For those of you who are not returning to on-campus learning and are going to continue with Virtual learning, our class start and end times will adjust slightly from the current schedule for our return. This will be communicated to you in the next couple of weeks.
- Our school uniform vender American-Casual will be on campus with full inventory on Tuesday October 6th (set up in the cafeteria) from 10:00am – 6:00pm so you can purchase school uniforms here on campus. You can also purchase school uniforms on-line and American-Casual will deliver to the school so you can pick them up on October 6th as well. The link to American-Casual is:
Parent Volunteer Opportunity!
- Parents, have you ever heard of the Community Foundation of Orange? This is a local non-profit that sponsors the Field of Valor at Handy Park as well as the Foundation Games at Fred Kelley Stadium. Mrs. Pedroza, Mrs. Jarrell, and I (Dr. D) are all on the Board of Directors and we are asking for help setting up the Field of Valor this year at Handy Park the week of Veteran's Day to honor our Veterans. All volunteers must be over the age of 16 years old. If you ever wanted to be a part of a great orgnaziation that servce kids and Veterans, this is your change to be involved. Please click the link below to sign up as a volunteer for this year's Field of Valor! We would love to have you and to work alongside of you serving our community!!!
Thank you Santanas, we will be communicating with you over the next few weeks as we get closer to our scheduled on-campus return date.
Have a great week!
Santiago Charter Middle School Team
8:00 am to 3:30 pm
8:00 am to 12:30 pm
Hey Hey, Listen Up, Listen Up!
Santiago Cheer & Spirit will hold virtual tryouts for the 2020-2021 squad from Sept 21-25th this year! All students interested in trying out will need to join the 2020 Santiago Cheer Tryouts Google classroom.
For questions, please contact Mrs. Grishaber via email, telephone (ext 8536), or the SantiagoCheerAndSpirit Instagram page.
All updates and links will be posted on the 2020 Santiago Cheer Tryouts Google Classroom.
Best of Luck!
Dear Santiago Families,
It is hard to believe that we are going into our second full week of online learning. Like you, we are disappointed that our students did not start this school year with in-person learning. We remain hopeful that our students will be able to safely return to campus soon. Although the start of the 2020-2021 school year may not look the same as it usually does, please know that the Santiago PTSA will still be hard at work supporting the teachers, students and administration remotely during this unique time and will be working closely with the Santiago administration to keep you up to date on the ever evolving landscape.
Like so many things in our lives now, we will be conducting our membership drive on line. We ask for your continued support and hope that you will join the Santiago PTSA. Please use the following link to become a PTSA member:
PTSA membership dues is the primary fundraising method for us. Over the years, we have been able to meet various needs for our teachers, students and administrators. we would love to continue to provide the extra help and funds throughout this year. The pandemic is making it difficult to continue with our usual efforts but we are reaching out in any way we can.
Thank you Santana Family for your uplifting spirit!
Santiago PTSA President 2020-2021
Estimados Familias de Santiago,
Es difícil de creer que estamos entrando en nuestra segunda semana completa de aprendizaje en línea. Como usted, estamos decepcionados de que nuestros estudiantes no hayan comenzado este año escolar con el aprendizaje en persona. Tenemos la esperanza de que nuestros estudiantes puedan regresar pronto a la escuela en un ambiente seguro y sano. Aunque es posible que el inicio del año escolar 2020-2021 no tenga el mismo aspecto acostumbrado, tenga en cuenta que el PTSA de Santiago seguirá trabajando duro para brindar apoyo a los maestros, estudiantes y administración de forma remota durante este tiempo único y trabajará cerca con la administración de Santiago para mantenerlos actualizados en el ambiente en constante evolución.
Como tantas cosas en nuestras vidas ahora, estaremos llevando a cabo nuestra campaña de afiliación en línea. Le pedimos su apoyo continuo y esperamos que se una al PTSA de Santiago. Utilice el siguiente link para convertirse en miembro de la PTA:
Las cuotas de membresía de PTSA son el principal método de recaudación de fondos para nosotros. A lo largo de los años, hemos podido satisfacer diversas necesidades de nuestros maestros, estudiantes y administradores. Nos encantaría seguir proporcionando ayuda y fondos adicionales durante este año. La pandemia hace que sea difícil continuar con nuestros esfuerzos habituales, pero estamos llenando los requisitos de todas las formas posibles.
¡Gracias Familia Santana por su fuerza y apoyo!
Presidenta del PTSA de Santiago 2020-2021
PTSA’s REFLECTIONS ART CONTEST – 2020
Hey Santanas! Do you like to dance, make videos, take photos, draw or write?
The Santiago PTSA is hosting a FREE art contest and invites YOU to submit your art! Last year a
Santana won 1st Place in the National PTA contest for literature! Let’s keep the streak going!
How to participate in Santiago’s REFLECTIONS Art Contest:
1. Create original works of art at home inspired by the theme:
“I Matter Because…”
2. Projects can be a video, poem/story, photograph, painting/drawing/sculpture, musical composition or a dance.
3. Students can create multiple individual projects, but NO group projects.
4. Completed Student Entry Form required (available soon online and in the office).
5. Artworks DUE THURSDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2020. Projects will be submitted digitally to
SantiagoPTSAReflections@gmail.com and in person to the office.
QUESTIONS? Contact the PTSA Reflections Chair Michelle Hernandez at
Santiago Esports Team
Santiago Charter Middle School is now piloting the Esports Pathway Program. Having partnered with NASEF (North American Scholastic Esports Federation) each Team member will strive to master the four domains of Esports and become an Organizer, Strategist, Entrepreneur, and Content Creator. Santiago’s Esports Instructors uphold the goal of promoting a safe space to competitively play video games as well as allow the students to discover their gifts among the various important roles that exist in the Esports industry.
Team Mission Statement:
Our mission is to provide team building between students that have a common passion for video games. To provide a safe place for students to learn and fail. And to increase their understanding of Esports and the future career paths in this field.
Game. Grow. Learn. Lead.
Advisor: Mr. Van Smaalen
Santanas Supported By: